Redd up the house
(us and yinz)
Just in case you’ve missed the last for sermons, here is some helpful information:
- ̓́νθρωπος-anthrōpos- is often used as a collective term (like the English “mankind”) which obviously is meant to include both males and females.1 “What is man, that you are mindful of him? Or the son of man, that you care for him?”- Hebrews 2:6
- In other instances, anthrōpos is used primarily as masculine or male, so one must pay attention to context carefully. It is plain to see the for instance, Matthew 12:43 in not about a specific man, but rather, humankind. We use the term for the study of mankind as Anthropology!
So, a “person” must “redd” up their house or get their house in order, as referenced last week. But there is something hidden in plain sight in today’s sermon, the house is clean, but is now there is no one residing there:
- Vs- 44 says that everything was where it should be and was clean, but no one was living there (unoccupied). This is a direct comment to the Pharisee’s (devout religious, pious, individuals). It is a comment about knowing truth but not understanding it. It’s a story of misapplication. The example of “Hearing Aids”.
- What Jesus is basically saying is that the Pharisee’s are just are just as lost as everyone else. They knew things about God and His ways, but they did not know God or His Way.
“To err is human, to forgive, divine.” – Alexander Pope2
- Here’s an example of Paul about mankind: Acts 14:8-19
As Paul states, we are all human (Vs 15) and Paul goes onto show mankind’s tendency to go their own way. This should surprise us as this is the very sin committed in the Garden of Eden. Mankind is always attracted to “another way”. It is the use and abuse of choice, misuse of freewill.
- Adam to Noah (pre-diluvian)
- Genesis 6:5-8
- Noah to Abram (post-diluvian)
- Abraham to Moses (pre-law)
- Genesis 24:3-4
- Moses to Joshua (law)
- Joshua 24:14-15
- Joshua to Yehoshua (Hebrew name of Jesus) (post-law)
- Jeremiah 17:9-10
- Ezekiel 34:1-6
- Amos 4:1-5
The House of God: Jesus and His Kingdom- Luke 4:14-19
- Preach good news to the poor (in spirit)
- Free them from themselves (sins grip on humankind)
- Give them their sight back (truth does not judge, but understands)
“I have met the enemy and the enemy is me!”
Mankind has been incomplete since the fall. We were created on the 6th day (the number 6 in the Bible always refers to incompleteness). From Adam to Noah, mankind strived to find their way. From Noah to Moses, mankind strived to find their way. From Moses to Jesus, mankind strived to find a way. Mankind in each age is incomplete (6,6,6). All of these 3 transitions did nothing to improve mankind. Even though wisdom and technology increase in each age, mankind ends up being worse off. The “house” of humankind has gotten worse!