Talk is Sheep
Picking up where we left off last week, we have Jesus in our story today at the same Colonnade that Peter and John would heal the lame man at the Beautiful Gate. I think we need to pay attention to these two stories, because the mood of the crowd had changed little over the months in this area.
Things to understand:
- The Feast of Dedication- This would be the feast in the Jewish calendar month of Kislev, our December, to commemorate the reconsecration of the temple after its pollution by the Syrians. Today we call this Hanukkah. The reason you don’t know anything about this is because this is not in our Protestant Bibles, as the books of Maccabee’s has been removed.
- Jesus says that the Jews were not his sheep. This is an answer to Psalm 74! Take time to read all of it in your own study, but for the sake of this message we will focus on verses 1-3.
- Look what the Jews promised in their worship: 79:9-13.
who think they are sheep are called something else by Jesus:
- Goats- Matthew 25:31-46
- Notice that this part of Scripture is connected to last week’s message- Matthew 7:13-14
- Wolves in sheep’s clothing is often confused with the role of pastor, but that is not what it says. The role of pastor is called “shepherding”. 1 Peter 5:2-4; Ephesians 4:11- ποιμήν – poimēn – poy-mane’ – a shepherd (literally or figuratively): – shepherd, pastor.
is therefore those who are under the care of the pastor that consider
themselves sheep, but they are not that we must be wary of. You evaluate the character of someone by the
fruit, not outward adherence of rules or opinions. Matthew 7:16a,20.
is the guide:
- Good Fruit- Galatians 5:22-23
- Bad Fruit- Galatians 5:19-21
- Here is the guide:
- Sheep feed on Good Fruit, Wolves and Goats feed on Bad Fruit
How do I know if I am a Sheep or a Goat or a Wolf? John 10:27
- Do you love Jesus? John 14:15
- Do you believe that Jesus loves you? John 15:9
- Have you surrendered your will for His? Galatians 2:20
- Do you believe God has a plan for you? Ephesians 2:10
- Do you love unconditionally? 1 Peter 4:8; 1 Corinthians 13:13
In fact, everyone will know that we are sheep by……our love! John 13:34-35; 1 John 3:1-16